The 2017 San Francisco Surrogacy Conference & Expo will feature surrogacy parenting options in both the USA and Canada, in a new exciting venue and an extended two-day format!
Our 4th annual West Coast Men Having Babies conference will be held in a new venue: The Marines’ Memorial Club and Hotel (as we have outgrown the space available at the SF LGBT Center). The conference will be offered in an expanded two day format — starting Saturday afternoon and continuing for the full day Sunday. It will bring together community activists, medical and legal experts, parents and surrogate mothers. Prospective parents will benefit from practical and personal peer advice and opportunities to meet a wide range of leading providers from the USA and Canada at the Gay Parenting Expo, breakout sessions and in private consultations. In-depth programs will offer insights from the latest studies about contemporary gestational surrogacy in the United States, and specialty panels on insurance, budgeting, legal, medical and psychological aspects of surrogacy.
The conference is based on a format MHB developed over the last 11 years in NY, Chicago, Barcelona, Brussels and Tel Aviv. Proceeds from sponsorship and exhibiting fees will benefit the Gay Parenting Assistance Program and Our Family Coalition.
Note: while the event is organized by gay parenting organizations, non-gay prospective surrogacy parents are welcome and will no doubt highly benefit from it as well.
609 Sutter Street, San Francisco.
Agenda in brief
(for more details see the Program and Speakers tabs)
Saturday, January 14:
• 5:00-5:30pm: Registration
• 5:30-6:30pm: Is surrogacy right for you? Overview and personal stories - hear from several surrogates and parents
• 6:30 - 6:45pm: Coffee Break
• 6:45 - 8:00pm: A mindful look at surrogacy - Attitudes and Ethics. In this session we will examine the meanings and significance people tend to attribute to surrogacy in their lives, with a special focus on surrogates’ perspective. We will present recent ethnographic research on surrogacy, and evidence from studies about the way surrogacy affects the the welfare of the child, the surrogate, and her family. We will also look at programs meant to encourage a more mindful surrogacy experience, such as the Sacred Surrogacy (part of the Sacred Living movement) and MHB's Framework for Ethical Surrogacy.
Sunday, January 15:
• 8:30-9:00am: Registration
• 9:00-10:30am: Planning your parenting journey - major legal, medical and financial considerations
• 10:30 -10:45am: break
• 10:45am-12:00pm: Picking providers, budgeting and financial assistance (GPAP).
• 12:00-1:30pm: Lunch (courtesy of San Diego Fertility Center) and gay parenting expo (tables of surrogacy agencies, clinics, lawyers and community organizations).
• 1:30-3:30pm: Breakout sessions - learn more about participating surrogacy providers.
• 3:30-8:30pm: Optional private consultations
• 3:30 -3:45pm: break
• 3:45-4:30pm: Specialty sessions I - Insurance and budgeting, Medical part 1, Psychological aspects of surrogacy
• 4:30-5:15pm: Specialty sessions II - Expert legal panel, Medical part 2, Life After Birth: Resources and Family Support Services with Our Family Coalition
• 5:15-6:00pm: Networking reception & gay parenting expo.
* Note: If you need ASL interpretation services, we ask that you notify us by December 23, 2016, so that we may have time to secure an interpreter.